Antipasto Skewers with Basil and Saba Drop
Serves 4 people
- 8 pitted black olives
- 8 pitted green olives
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices of salami
- 8 cooked cheese tortellini pieces
- 16 leaves of basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic reduction/Saba
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 bamboo skewers
Fold the slices of salami and basil leaves into small triangles, and begin building onto the skewers. Decorate each skewer to your liking as you add the pieces of cheese, tomatoes, and olives. Each skewer should have two of each ingredient. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic reduction onto the antipasto skewers and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Fresh homemade salsa
Serves 10 people
Total Time: 10 minutes
- large (3-4 lbs) tomatoes
- ½ tsp. or red or white wine vinegar (substitute with cider or balsamic vinegar)
- ½ small red onion, peeled
- 2-3 small jalapeno peppers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. coriander
- large handful of cilantro
- ½ lemon or lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
Chop tomatoes, onions, and jalapeno peppers. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until desired consistency. Serve in a bowl with chips and veggies, or top any Mexican dish.
Farmer's market fresh peach salsa
- 3 medium/large ripe yellow peaches, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup Red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup Yellow pepper, diced
- ½ cup Red onion, diced
- ½ cup Vine ripened tomato, remove skin and seeds and finely dice 1 Jalapeño pepper, remove seeds, gills and finely dice (optional)
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. Mint, roughly chopped
- 1-2 Limes, juice and zest
- 2 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil EVOO)
- 1 tbsp. Chives, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Honey (optional, can use sugar, Agave, maple syrup as alternatives)
- ½ tsp Sea salt and a pinch of ground white pepper
Wash and dry all vegetables and fruit. Select peaches that are ripe, they should be soft but not mushy. Cut the peaches from the pits and be careful not to leave any seed behind, dice small. Next cut the peppers and remove any white gill part left behind, Julien and then dice into pieces. Cut the tomato the same way remove the outside flesh, and leave behind the core and seeds. Chop the herbs small and fine dice the chives, combine ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl and then add lime juice and zest, honey, salt, pepper and EVOO.
This salsa is limitless, it works well with fish, chicken, pork, chips, cheeses and more. Enjoy!
Yields two cups
- 2 cups seeded and coarsely chopped watermelon
- 2 tbsp. chopped onion
- 3 tbsp. seeded, chopped Anaheim chili
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. garlic salt
In a serving bowl, mix together the watermelon, onion, and chili. Toss with balsamic vinegar and garlic salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- 4 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Wash and pat dry the basil. Add the basil, pine nuts, and garlic to the food processor. While pulsing, drizzle in olive oil. Once the oil has been incorporated, process until the mixture is smooth. Pour the basil mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in the cheeses.
Taste to check seasoning, then store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Grilled vegetables with balsamic vinaigrette
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 eggplants
- 3 zucchinis
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 large red onion
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
Mix olive oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slice eggplants, zucchinis, bell peppers, mushrooms and onion. Toss in soy sauce marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
Grill vegetables on preheated grill brushing vegetables with marinade until done, approximately 15 minutes
Sweet potato fries
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, or as needed
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh rosemary, or to taste
- Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss sweet potatoes, olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl until evenly coated. Arrange sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
Pickled hot peppers
Recipe makes 10 cups
- 1 ½ lbs. banana peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb. jalapeno peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ lb. Serrano peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
Place the banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, and Serrano peppers into a large pot. Add the vinegar, water, garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Put peppers into sterile jars, and fill to the top with the liquid, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Tap jars on the counter to remove air bubbles. Place two piece lids on the jars.
Place jars in the rack of a large, canning pan, and fill with enough water to cover the jars completely. Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Refrigerate jars after opening.
Cucumbers in yogurt with fresh dill
By Katherine Tallmadge, M.A., R.D.
Author, “Diet Simple 195 Mental Tricks, Substitutions, Habits & Inspirations”
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (any seasonal cucumber will do)
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup low fat or nonfat yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 dash pepper
Mix water, vinegar and salt. Add cucumber slices and let sit for about an hour. Drain well. In clean bowl, mix together yogurt, dill, sugar and pepper. Mix cucumber slices in the yogurt mixture. Let sit in refrigerator for at least one hour to blend flavors. Will last several days in the refrigerator.
It’s especially delicious using locally grown, just picked cucumbers. It’s great served alongside smoked salmon, but also any spicy dish, such as an Indian Curry.
Baked Kale Chips
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Seasoning salt
Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper. Wash and clean kale. Remove stems and tear into bite size pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are brown, not burnt.